Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Disney Pop-Tarts: Miley Vs. Selena

It's interesting to see how the stable of Disney pop-tarts tackle the tail-end of their adolescence both in their music and their image. Vanessa Hudgens seems to be focusing on films that gradually get more mature (I’m only really basing this on Band Slam and Beastly, I don’t pay her that much attention), perhaps in an effort to distance herself from her nudie-scandal. Hilary Duff... well... is she still alive? I’ve not heard anything about her since her parents divorced. Same for her horse-faced sister. 

But, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez are the interesting ones to me. When Miley decided to “grow up”, she makes rebellious songs, saucy videos, and wears less and less clothes. I think at one point she was wearing macrame. Huh. Don’t get me wrong, I completely adore her. I actually think of all the Disney pop-tarts she’s probably the most musically talented - neck and neck with Demi Lovato - and she’s still kept that goofball charm that made Hannah Montana such a guilty pleasure. I also admire and am completely fascinated by the fact that she’s openly Christian AND supports gay marriage. Who doesn’t love a Christian who hearts teh gayz? Kristen Chenoweth anyone? Plus, it also means that hoards of tweens who idolize Hannah Montana now heart teh gayz too, and that bodes well.
But still.. she’s wearing macrame now. See? This outfit is held together with some knots and a prayer. 


Then we have Selena Gomez who has come from out of nowhere to be my most beloved and adored Disney pop-tart. It seemed to me that for a long time she was overshadowed by the likes of Miley and Demi and the Jo Bros, and then somewhere along the line, there she was... Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie became the second most viewed Disney Channel Original Movie, and her first album “Kiss & Tell” was really... not bad at all. She doesn’t have the vocal chops of Demi or Miley, but it has a pleasant texture and character, and the album - a somewhat par-for-the-course selection of teen pop-rock - played to her strengths. And then there was that song! Naturally completely caught my attention and infected my brain with its electro-synthy goodness. But where would she go next?



Well, unlike Miley, when Selena Gomez decided she wanted to “grow up”, instead of losing her pants and recording a precocious, skanky, rebellion tune a’la Can’t Be Tamed, she threw on some classy, tasteful frocks and put out a piece of glorious pop perfection. Taking inspiration from Naturally and running with it, Round and Round continues with the infectious dance/electro-pop sound. And I gotta say, this song is completely addictive, and the bridge into the chorus is utterly irresistible. UTTERLY irresistible. And now that she's BFF with the most wholesome of the wholesome Taylor Swift, I’m hoping like crazy and throwing salt over my shoulder that Selena breaks the so-called “Disney Curse”.

0 comments: